Thursday, February 4, 2010

Non-Striving

I've been re-reading parts of Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn, and pondering an interesting question which I discussed with my husband this morning. I love the simplicity of Kabat-Zinn's message, focusing on being an observer, mindful in each moment and allowing our experience to unfold without judgment. In his book, he talks about "the deep importance of contemplation and of non-attachment to any result other than the sheer enjoyment of being."

I agree with this, and am very aware of the disappointment that being attached to a particular outcome can bring. I have seen in my own life how letting go of striving to make events turn out in a certain way allows divine intelligence to exert its knowing.

What, then, of ourselves as divine creators? I have also experienced the miracle of choosing a good outcome and watching as it manifested, through treasure-mapping or affirmations, or any other method of prayer. Is that not being attached? I believe it is, and it provided good spiritual food for our conversation this morning.

What I realized in pondering it is that both perspectives hold a part of truth. I would always want to fully claim that most sacred ability to choose the course of my life. I believe that humanity is just now beginning to grasp the enormity of what we are capable of. We are moving, in quantum leaps, to owning who we are. Jesus said, "Ye are gods," and "These things I do and more you shall do." He taught that we are created in God's image, as he was.

But Jesus didn't strive, he knew. He did desire certain outcomes, and absolutely trusted that they would happen. He didn't have to be attached to the result, because of total certainty that the outcome was never in question. I believe he did choose to affect situations in ways he saw as worthy, and then put trust in the divine to carry them out, believing that the right and perfect thing would come to pass.

What perfect help this is to me in my own creating: to remember that as I ask it's already being given unto me, and when I knock I am always answered. It can be no other way. There is no effort needed in creating a world of my own making.

Thank you, God!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherry,

    Very interesting post! I sat down this morning to write a magazine article on non-resistance or non-striving, and discovered your site. This is such a good question -- how do we balance the message of non-striving with our actual actions in the world? In short, how can we effectively act with an attitude of non-action? I remember writing two articles on my blog regarding this issue -- http://kentonwhitman.com/2007/02/02/the-games-called-intention-manifestation-awakening-and-dualism/ and this one, which also touches on the subject -- http://kentonwhitman.com/2007/07/06/intention-manifestation-vs-non-dualism/ I know for me it's always helpful to see others' takes on things like this, so thought I'd share in return!

    Thanks for taking the time and energy to record your own journey here -- it's one of the best uses of the net, I think, that we can share each others' experiences and all learn from our collective walk together.

    Sweetwater,
    Kenton

    ReplyDelete