Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Treasure Mapping


Treasure mapping is a way to clear our connection with the creative power of the universe, in which we are all active participants. They pave the way for us to see our steps in manifesting our desires. Treasure maps are also called vision boards or mock-up boards. I learned about this tool years ago, and have enjoyed creating many treasure maps in that time.

Start with a big poster board, glue sticks, scissors, and magazines that pertain to the things that you want to have in your life. Most adults don't often get an opportunity to play with glue and scissors, so this is fun! The idea is to cut out as many examples of the things that you want as possible. Cut out picture and words expressing the spirit of your goals.

The treasure map can focus on a single thing, a certain category or a number of different things. Sometimes when I make a treasure map for the new year, I include goals around my health, my work, my leisure activities, and other things that are important to me. Other times, I focus the treasure map on just one thing, and the specific details around that. Make sure it has a clear theme. The more specific you can be about what you put on the map, the better. The clearer you are with your intention, the more likely it is to come to fruition.

The next step is arranging the ideas that you've cut out and gluing them to the poster board, much like a collage. Some people like to add a picture of themselves on the treasure map. I have at times put the date in large letters in the center of the map, as a way of emphasizing that in creation.

I like treasure mapping because as I'm sifting through magazines, considering which pictures and words best reflect what I want to have or be or do, I am sending very specific instructions to the universe, and that creative spark within me, that it will be so. It is very spiritual work, but also a very fun process.

I have quite a few treasure maps from years past up on a shelf in my closet, and also a few more current ones down where I can look at them often. It's always very validating when I occasionally take all of them down from my closet and am delighted by how much I have brought into being with my intention. It's a great reminder that all we have to do is put the picture out there, and then let it come to pass.

May this tool be a blessing!

2 comments:

  1. I just posted a (somewhat blurry; sorry) pic of you and your most recent Treasure Map. It's on my Facebook page. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once more common in fiction than in fact, a treasure
    Map
    today can be the basis of a team-building activity, a party your guest won’t soon forget or a fundraising activity that will raise big bucks for your favorite charity.

    ReplyDelete