Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Conversations With God

God speaks to my husband through song lyrics, but he has to work a bit for it.  It has become an almost daily occurrence.  He doesn't remember song lyrics, but he remembers the tunes of songs.  I, on the other hand, remember lyrics.  Not so much the tune, which is most likely why I don't sing, at least in public.  Well, only in the car, or around people who I know will love me anyway. . .

This morning, my husband came in to the bedroom, asking me what this song was that had come in to his head during his meditation.  He was humming a tune and trying to throw in a few words.  It's become a funny exercise in the morning, listening to him humming and trying to get the song.  We usually figure it out, and he is always delighted when I tell him the lyrics.  They always have some type of encouraging message for him.  He remembers them through the day, and has started recording them in his journal.

God communicates to us in many different ways.  Neale Walsh in Conversations with God has transcribed his own conversations with God on the subject of communication, and many other topics.  In the book, God says that he talks to everyone, all the time.  The question is not to whom he talks, but who listens.  This is great stuff!  He says that the most common form of communication is through feeling.  Feeling is the language of the soul.  I so much agree.  Through our feelings the body hears our spirit.

God also communicates through thought, often through images and pictures.  Experience is the next level of communication.  Finally, when feelings, thoughts and experience fail, God says in Walsh's book that he uses words.  Words are the least effective means of communication, because they are often misunderstood. They are noises that stand for feelings, thoughts and experience.

I have read Conversations With God more than once, and love the message.  Remembering that we can so easily hear God's voice is an immeasurably wonderful gift.

So how do we know if what we are feeling, thinking, experiencing or hearing is from God?  In the book, God makes the distinction clear:  "Mine is always your highest thought, your clearest word, your grandest feeling.  Anything less is from a different source.  The highest thought is always that thought which contains joy.  That clearest words are those words which contain truth.  The grandest feeling is that of love."

To remember this always: that in the midst of the worst life can dish out, I can trust my joyous thoughts; that is where the truth lies.  That I can always speak the truth as I know it, and it will serve the highest good.  And that I should always express my love openly, even when, especially when, it seems the most difficult to do.

To hear, we must first become silent.  We need to quiet, as best we can, our reactions, and wait for that which brings awareness of truth, joy and love.  Lately, as I ask a question of God, and I wait and listen, it feels almost as if I am listening to the air around me.  But I know it is much more than that.  I am listening for my answer in the quiet space that contains my immediate surroundings but also all that was ever created.  In the space between my thoughts, I listen for the voice of joy.

May this tool be a blessing. . .

6 comments:

  1. Great post. I haven't read this book, but totally agree with the "feeling". I say the same thing about blessings, the challenge is not to get a blessing. The true challenge is recognizing you've already been blessed by God already in so many ways. We get caught up in what we want, we ignore what we already have.

    Peace and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to God is a lost art! Thanks for posting this ... will have to check out that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog :) This is a great post. It has reminded me to go within and listen; lately I have been so busy and stressed and have forgotten how to listen. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God speaks to me by impression. If I'm trying to make a decision, I often stop and clear my mind - then go with whatever pops into my mind first. This has shown to be a useful bit of conversation time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The answer, in so many spiritual, alternative health, and religious texts, is that to find God, one needs to go within, not look without. For me, finding a connection to Source happened when I learned Reiki. Reiki gives one a tangible, physically noticeable connection with spiritual energy. It was what I needed when hoping and seeking didn't do it for me. Here's my story: http://reikiawakening.blogspot.com/2009/06/formal-story-of-my-spiritual-awakening.html That said, I think I also sometimes get signs from angels through events, songs, and the way things line up just right in certain moments.

    Blessings to you for sharing your journey.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this was lovely... n so very true... i do that too n yes i love that book as well... its awesome!!! :)

    gud that u tracked me in blogspot or watevr that blogger platform is... oops i 4got the name.. now that i have added you in blogger, i wil drop by often... cheers mam!

    ReplyDelete